Your pretty little furry friend does not blow candles on its 18 birthday and declares its adulthood. Well, it is because they become fully grown before even reaching their teenage years. Now the question is, “When are cats full grown?”
Your adorable little kitty grows up faster than you can imagine. All the cats, except some breed, get mature at the age of around 10 to 24 months. You can consider them as adults after that age.
Are you interested in knowing the life cycle of a cat? If yes, then this piece will satisfy your knowledge.
When Are Cats Full Grown?
After getting a cat, the owners start planning for its future. So, it is important for them to know when the feline will stop growing. By full-grown, you can indicate two different things. One, the maturity of the kitty, and two, their physical growth.
According to experts, a feline grows mentally mature at the age of around 12 months. It means the pet will have a self-personality at that age. You will be able to notice patterns in its behavior and the feline will act the same throughout its life.
On the other hand, the physical growth of a cat may stop at the age between 10 to 24 months or 2 years. Depending on the breed, the time frame can be somewhere between 4 to 5 years. Even after this age, the weight of the cat will fluctuate depending on the nourishment it is getting.
However, compared to these two growths, sexual maturity comes pretty fast in cats. A kitty can be involved in sexual activity when it is around 4 to 9 months. Getting pregnant at an early age may harm the feline’s physical growth and health.
The Life Cycle Of Felines
A cat growth chart may help you get the basics of a kitty’s life. As a responsible owner, you must be well aware of the physical and mental growth of your furry little pet. Different owners, cat parents, or experts tend to divide the stages of a cat’s life in their own way. Here is how I find it most suitable:
- From 0 to 6 months, your pet enjoys its kittenhood. During this time, the baby teeth of the kitten start to fall and get replaced by the adult teeth. The kitten phase is the cutest time of a cat’s life. The kittens grow really fast in this short period.
- From 6 to 2 months, the feline gets almost all types of maturities. For example, the kitty will become sexually mature, get its full growth, and its personality will become more polished. This phase is also considered as the junior time of the cat. Try to spend more time with your pet during its junior phase. Also, let it play with other felines. These will help the kitty get more confidence in life.
- From 3 to 6 years, a cat stays in its prime adulthood. This is the phase when a feline settles into its life. You will find your kitty most active and the healthiest in this stage. Some breeds get their maximum physical maximum growth at this age.
- From 7 to 10 years, a cat is considered a mature adult. This is more like an old human being. What does a man do in his elderly time? He becomes less active, right? It is the same with the felines. The mature adult cats will no longer do adventurous parties and gain weight. At this age, the kitty may develop health diseases like kidney failure or diabetes.
- From 11 to 14 years, the pet experiences its senior hour. In this phase, the feline does not participate in any play, activities, or even exercises. Its health begins to deteriorate and the pet may get diagnosed with new diseases. Your senior cat will spend most of its time sleeping. As an owner, you need to keep it under regular medical checkups.
How long do cats live? Experts claim the average lifespan of most cat breeds is around 2 to 16 years. Some breeds may live up to 30 years. After the senior phase, a feline becomes really old and it will spend the rest of its life sleeping and observing the surroundings.
When Does A Kitten Become A Cat?
When a kitten becomes a cat in front of your eyes, it is one of the most joyous experiences for cat owners. You already know a kitten carries baby teeth around the age of 4 to 6 months. After that, these milk teeth get replaced by adult teeth. This is the first step for the feline to get into the adult zone.
After 1 to 2 years, the kitten will grow in size and appearance. This is the phase when a kitten officially becomes a cat. The feline will play with other cats and socialize with everyone around. This is the healthiest stage for each cat.
How To Tell If Your Cat Is Fully Grown?
When are cats full grown? A kitten grows really fast. For the first 6 months to 12 months, the changes of a kitten are very noticeable. Then suddenly their physical growth slows down. Without a strict observation, you will barely notice the change in your kitty.
Weighing your kitten every month will help you to track the change. Also, measure the length of your kitty once in a while. When the physical growth of the pet will become constant, then it has grown fully.
Factors That Affect Your Cat’s Growth
Your lovely kitten will grow into a young feline in no time. Usually, a full-grown cat weighs around 10 pounds. Depending on the breed, the weight may vary. However, some factors affect your kitty’s full growth. Such as,
- Pet or stray
- Spayed or neutered
- Mental and physical health
With full nourishment, a cat will get its average grown-up size around 23 to 25 cm and gain the average weight.
When are cats full grown? I have discussed the life cycle of a feline. No matter how old your cat is, provide it the best care possible.