Over the past few years, the number of feral cats has increased a lot. And eventually, this is turning into a problem. These cats search for food and home from alley to alley. They crash into any home’s yard or eat food from the trash can. Sometimes, these felines destroy your beautiful garden.
So, what can you do? How to get rid of feral cats? Is there any permanent solution to this problem? Well, there are some tricks that will help you keep the felines away from your yard.
If you are looking for a solution to get rid of felines, then this article is for you.
What is the problem with feral cats?
How To Get Rid of Feral Cats?
Feral cats are the ones who have limited interaction with humans. They were never owned or abandoned by any people. So, in a sense, they are afraid of people. Most times, the feral cats come to your house, garden, or yards at night.
Many of you may be thinking why people are searching for tips on how to keep cats away. Well, there is no doubt that any cat is adorable and harmless. But here are some problems with feral cats:
- The feral cats will turn your yard into an open litter box.
- If there are flowers or small plants in your garden, the feline will come out of curiosity. They will eat the plants to get the taste. And eventually, your garden will be destroyed.
- The cats are hunters by nature. If they see any bird in the yard, they will try to kill it and make a fest out of it.
- If the feral cats find it comfortable in your house, they will start breeding there.
- The feral cats are more exposed to diseases and worms. If your indoor pets come in contact with them, the pets will get sick.
- And finally, not everyone is a cat person. Some people are allergic to felines.
So, these are the reasons why people try getting rid of feral cats.
If you play it smartly, keeping cats away is not that hard. Here are some of the most effective tips that you can follow:
1. Eliminate shelters from your home
Cats are fond of warmth and security from the outside world. The unused box in your yard, woodpiles in the garage, or the under deck can be the perfect place for the feral cats to crash at night. If they find the place comfortable, they will return every night or start a family there.
So, what can you do? Remove all the probable shelters from your yard or garage. If the cats do not find anything suitable to rest, they will go somewhere else.
2. Take care of the outside decorations
Cats are curious by nature. If you have a wind charmer or any other attractive things outside, the felines will come to get a closer look. Even they will try to play with those things. So, remove any toys or supplies that attract the kitties.
3. Remove the trash can
The feral cats are always hungry. They need to survive on their own. The leftovers from your dinner can be a delicious meal for them.
When they find a food source, they will come again and again. That is why remove the trash can from the yard. Or cover the can with a tight lid.
4. Apply home remedies
Many people ask me how to keep stray cats out of your yard using home remedies. Yes, it is possible. You know cats have a strong sense of smell. They hate a particular type of scent and avoid it at any cost. So, if you can create that type of strong odor, the felines will stay away from your front porch.
Here are some of the things that you can use:
- Lavender, peppermint, lemon: Mix any of these oils with water in a 1:3 ratio. Spray the solution on the places where the feral cats come.
- White vinegar: Vinegar has a strong smell and the cats dislike it very much. Mix it with water in a 1:2 ratio and spray it in your yard.
- Citrus: Many of you may not know it but the felines do not enjoy the smell of citrus. You can place the orange or lemon peels around your house. The cats will not enter your house because of the smell of the citrus.
- Black pepper, coffee ground, red pepper flakes: Pepper can be a great option if you are trying to get rid of cats. If they smell the flakes, it will cause irritation and the felines will not come back.
- Ammonia: You can also use ammonia to keep cats away. The felines dislike this smell and this can be your chance to use it against them. Make a solution of water and ammonia. Spray it around your yard and the places where the cats visit frequently.
- Plants: Felines tend to avoid a few types of plants. For example, rue, lavender, lemon, pennyroyal, etc. Planting these in your garden will work as a solution.
5. Use cat repellent for yard
How to get rid of feral cats using repellents? Repellents can be a good choice if you are trying to keep the cats away from your home. There are various types of repellents available in the market. Or sometimes, you can make a repellent by yourself.
Here are some cat repellent ideas for you:
- Water sprinkler: You can install a motion water sprinkler in your front yard and activate it at night. The device can sense the cat’s steps and will spray water at them.
- Commercial spray: You can buy commercial cat repellent sprays from any pet store.
- Ultrasonic sound device: This device makes a low range sound that can only be heard by the cats. The felines can not stand the noise and go away.
Feral cats are harmless and come to your place in search of food or warmth. This article on how to get rid of feral cats will help you to keep them away from your yard. Or you can call an animal rescue for a permanent solution.